Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Business Card Strategy that Works

I’ve got an incredibly effective marketing idea for you. It’s called handing out business cards. I know – it’s new, it’s different, it’s unique. Well, it’s actually none of those things, but, I have a strategy for you that I know will greatly enhance the results that you want as a result of handing out a business card to a prospective patient, client or customer. There are TWO parts to the strategic process of handing out a business card.

Let me explain:

When you meet a prospect, it is likely that you are so focused on “selling” them on our products or services that you simply hand out your business card with the instruction to call you. This is really the 2nd half of the process.

The part that most agents miss is the 1st half of the process – which is when you willingly let the prospect know that “I’m not sure if I can help you.” And, that in order to find out more about their unique, special, different problem or situation, you should really talk to them for an extended period of time in the office (for what could be a free consultation).

Asking you to tell this person that you’re not sure if you are able to help them (when you know you can) probably feels VERY uncomfortable or unnatural. I absolutely understand why you feel this way. Keep reading, as there IS a method to the madness.

When you take the business card out, and you hand it to a prospect, make sure you write on the back of that card: “free consult.” (Every professional – doctor, financial professional, attorney, business owner, etc., can talk to anyone for free. I am not aware of any compliance laws that prevent you from speaking to someone for free.) Again, I want to stress the importance of the first part of that process. Most of us get so caught up in talking to AND selling someone on our product/service, that we forget about credentializing ourselves, and qualifying them.

In other words, maybe they’re not qualified to be your client or customer. And, in the process of you qualifying this prospect, an amazing psychological event happens; THEY start to want to be your new client/customer. Why? The truth is, we all have this need – a desire – to qualify… for anything! I want you to tap into that desire/emotion.

When you’re talking to a prospect and you’re sharing your solutions for their particular problem, you must include that 1st part: “I’m not sure whether I can help you. You should really come into the office first so we can discuss your problem in greater detail so that I can provide you with more information, and all available solutions to your problem. Then, you can make an educated decision about whether we’re right for each other.”

2nd Step – Then you can give them the business card with “free consult” written on the back, as well as the name of a person to ask for when they call your office.

I would say, “My team associate’s name is Katie. When you call, ask for Katie. I’m going to let her know that I spoke with you today. She’ll be expecting your call and will schedule your free consultation as soon as possible. I look forward to seeing you in the office.”

I hope you see how different this approach is as compared to everyone else they meet. This is not the typical hard-sell approach, but an ethical take-away that enables you both to see whether you are right for each other WITHOUT any pressure.

That’s the new, unique, slightly tweaked and perfected incredibly strategic twist that you want to put on handing out business cards to prospects.
********

No comments:

Post a Comment