Thursday, April 18, 2013

What My Grandson’s Haircut Has To Do With Building Your Book of Business

So I take my grandson to get his hair cut last weekend. About 12 minutes after the first snip, it’s over. A nice pile of his ridiculously thick hair (yes, I’m jealous) lies on the floor.

From the time the stylist said, “Hello”, I could tell that she really didn’t have any interest in us.

She didn’t even fake it! She didn’t care about our business…my grandson’s head was just another head of hair she HAD to cut.

Admittedly, she was not the owner (I bet you could have guessed that)…and it wasn’t a great experience.

Ok, I know what you are thinking – “It’s only a haircut!” I get it…but here’s the rest of the story and a lesson for all of you who want to grow your book of business.

It’s time to pay. The cost of the haircut is not important. What IS important is how she ACCEPTED the money and tip.

For starters, when I paid her (I included the tip), she didn’t say, “Thank you”!

When I handed over the money she told us to “Have a good day.” I don’t know about you, but I need someone to show me just a little gratitude for our business. I don’t need a whole song and dance – just a simple, “Thank you”.

If this has ever happened to you, you know what I’m talking about.

Here’s the lesson: If you (OR YOUR STAFF) accept money at a front desk, over the phone, over the internet – wherever – you must make an effort to show your clients or customers that you VALUE their business.

With so many choices, people need to feel connected to the people they do business with. It’s that simple.

Without that connection (dare I say “relationship”), and the understood VALUE of our policy coverages or your protection advice, people will focus on price and just gravitate to your cheapest competitor.

Loyalty is alive and well for those insurance agents who make the attempt to “connect” with their clients/customers on a higher level, communicate their real value and (at least) act like they are appreciative for their business.

To Your Success,

Doug Myrick


No comments:

Post a Comment