Friday, August 18, 2023

Appreciation + the no + well wishes


That brilliant five-word formula: Appreciation + the no + well wishes.

Here's how it works:

"Thank you so much for thinking of me (appreciation). I actually don't have time in my schedule right now (the no). I know it will be a great event (well wishes)."

"Thanks for sharing what you're up to (appreciation). Right now, I'm not in the market for [this product] (the no). I wish you the best with this (well wishes)."

"I love that you're passionate about this (appreciation). I won't be able to make it (the no). Let me know how it goes, though; I know you'll crush it (well wishes)."

Sharing a final tip:

"If you're a chronic overexplainer, you'll notice a pull to make the no sentence long-winded," writes Myrick. "Practice keeping this super short and not providing an excuse beyond what is actually true (e.g., 'I don't have time in my schedule right now.')"

So, the next time you're tempted to overexplain, remember the formula:

Appreciation + the no + well wishes.

Doing so will lift the burden of defending your choices and give you the freedom to actually enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment