Sunday, November 1, 2015

Just For Today

The year is winding down. I just looked at my calendar and can’t believe it’s flipped to November.
 
Hours turn into days, days into weeks, and time passes faster and faster the older I get (hey - I said older, not old).
 
I’ve found that as this happens, it’s very easy for me to lose enthusiasm for the many things I do daily which can become monotonous.
 
If I do not consciously remind myself often to invest myself FULLY in my daily activities and conversations, I quickly lose my “get up and go” attitude, leading myself to feeling burnt out and worn down.
 
If you’ve found yourself feeling the burdens of the monotony of life, try a few of these techniques to smack yourself back into full presence of the moment:
  • Invest yourself totally into ALL that you engage in throughout the day.
  • Bring your complete awareness and positive energy into every phone call, conversation, task, and meeting.
  • Practice really listening to others and speaking with enthusiasm!
  • Take everything in around you (the changing leaves of autumn, the fresh air, etc.) and practice gratitude. 
  • Don’t forget to breathe!
Practice being proactive instead of reactive by:
  • Making a daily task list
  • Scheduling your day (things that are scheduled get done!)
  • Scheduling weekly accountability meetings
I can have the power and can easily make the day whatever I want it to be.  If I’m constantly thinking about how “I’m too busy” or how much time I “don’t” have to do this or that, then I will find myself getting exactly that; not enough time, lack of motivation leading to inactivity, and a negative mindset.
 
The good news is that the vicious cycle can be stopped by telling yourself:
 
“Just for today, I will bring it!  I will be enthusiastic, energetic, and aware of the present moment in all that I do.”
 
Try it!  Just for today, bring it.  I promise you, if you do, you will have one of the best days you’ve had in a long time.
 
After all, we only have today anyway, right?  Make it count.
 
Have a great week!

Uncle "D"

No comments:

Post a Comment